2.22.2008



A mix of some of the music I've been listening to alot lately.

Nickel Creek - Smoothie Song
I haven't been listening to Nickel Creek that much, but rather bluegrass music in general. There is something I really like in that awesome simplicity of the various combinations of guitar, banjo, mandolin, violin (fiddle), resonator.


Metallica - Through the Never
Talk about contrast. At about the same time that I'm getting into bluegrass, I'm also listening more to some (stressing some) metal music. Wierd, huh? So I missed out on the Metallica craze when I was in junior high/high school, but I'm discovering it now. By today's standards I guess you could consider Metallica more heavy rock than metal.


Stray Cats - Rumble in Brighton
Rockabilly is pretty cool, especially when played by Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats. I like the "classic" '50s rock/country guitar sounds that are unique to rockabilly. A hollowbody electric guitar (preferrably Gretsch) slightly overdriven...neat! I can only tolerate it for so long though before it kinda sounds repetitive, but then again what genre doesn't get that way after awhile? Disco, that's what...


Jerry Douglas - Little Medley
So back to that bluegrass thing...My favorite thing about bluegrass music is the resonator guitar (when it is in the mix, which isn't always the case). Something about that sound, the unique tone and slide playing. It is a very distinct sound. This is a nice little video with solo resonator playing so you can really hear it. One of the best resonator players is Jerry Douglas, who is most well known as a member of Union Station with Alison Krauss. I swear, if I ever learn guitar to my satisfaction, I'll pick up a resonator and learn how to play it!


Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Two
I've been really liking some of Ryan Adams' albums, particularly Cold Roses and Easy Tiger. Alot of his songs have a sort mellow country vibe to them. I think a bit of that sound comes from the pedal steel slowly doing it's thing in the background. It has a country sound, but without the usual country themes/motifs you find on country radio (which is a good thing). I had a hard time finding a good youtube vid that featured this, so here is the best I could find.


eh, here is another one.How Do You Keep Love Alive


Queens of the Stone Age - Avon and 3's & 7's
Yes, I've been living under a rock. So Queens of the Stone Age have a great CD, Songs for the Deaf, that came out a few years ago. I don't know how I missed it, but it is my favorite CD at the moment. Very basic, repeated, rhythmic rock that has kind of a dirty, grungy sex-type feel to it (don't know how else to describe it). Might not be your thing. I dunno, but I can't wait to check out their other CDs.


Ignore the French at the beginning....oui!


Now for the I-wish-I-could-do-that moment. This is a snippet of the U2 Medley by Doyle Dykes played by 9 year old boy, Sungha Jung, who lives in Korea. I hope to someday be able to play like this. He had only been playing guitar for about two years at the time this video was made!


Here is the full U2 Medley performed by Doyle Dykes. One man. One acoustic guitar. Very cool! No video with this though, just a slideshow of u2 photos.

No comments: