3.21.2008


LAN Party - Controlled Chaos

There is something about a LAN party that really riles me up - in a good way. One of my co-worker friends Jeff and I are hosting a Halo 3 LAN party for the second time next Friday. I would say the last one was successful. I presume everyone had a lot of fun, which is really the only thing that matters.



What I became more aware of by hosting a LAN party for the first time is the work needed to keep chaos during the LAN party at optimal levels (a little mayhem is part of the fun).

In the case of the Halo 3 LAN it requires things like:
-Loading player profiles for everyone on the consoles ahead of time so everyone can start playing faster(more of an Xbox360 issue)
-Explaining game play mechanics, controls, game types for players new to Halo 3
-Creating balanced teams when playing team/objective games
-Keeping everyone besides the hardcore gamers interested for 4+ hours
-Avoiding physical injury and property damage (likely harder to do if alcohol is involved)



The list above makes it sound like alot of work but it really wasn't too bad. Most everyone at the LAN party was pretty laid back, so I'm sure that helps. I'm hoping to iron a few kinks I noticed at the last one. I doubt any of the players noticed these things though. Either way, my hope is everyone coming to the next LAN party agrees it is more fun than the last one. There is nothing better than a rip-roarin' LAN party!

I'm planning a big write up of the party with lots of pics and hopefully *fingers crossed* some gameplay video goodness.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I'm sure it'll be a blast. Plus we have the added SUPER SMASH BROS. to keep things interesting! LAN PARTY FRIDAY! WOO!!!!!!